Thursday, June 15, 2023

Learning More About '74

The Topps Heritage cards are out for this year, and as usual they're more or less in the style of the regular Topps cards from 49 years before. I looked at them on COMC, and some of the Baseball Flashbacks and News Flashbacks have a couple of things of which I wasn't aware regarding 1974. One of the News Flashbacks cards involves Daylight Saving Time being in place for pretty much the whole year, and another involves a low Dow Jones average.

The AP Sports Almanac for 1975 mentions a recession in its overview of the World Football League. This month, for much of which I haven't had my new laptop, I've been making time to write things down that I see in the almanac, though I hope I'm not damaging the book. In my usual haste, some of the things I've been writing for pretty much every sport are not completely legible and may have to be backed up by sources on the Internet. As of Thursday, I've gone through everything from angling and fishing to ice hockey. Jai alai is next, and maybe the name of a challenger on a 1973 episode of "To Tell the Truth" will be found there, a name that escapes me. All I know is the three who appeared on the program wore different uniforms.

It seems the Memphis Tams had a uniform scheme like that of the Oakland A's during the first Mausoleum era (the team's going through the second now), sporting seven color combinations for jersey and shorts, all except white jersey with yellow shorts and green jersey with white shorts. How do I know this? It's on bballjerseys.com. Basketball at long last has its own version of Dressed to the Nines, NHL Uniforms, and Gridiron Uniform Database. Click on the red Memphis icon, then "View Photos," then "Home and Road" or "Alternate" to see the Tams' uniforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment